How to Get Started Using Your PULMICORT FLEXHALER
Click on the links below for a quick 3-step refresher for using the PULMICORT FLEXHALER and for more information about how your PULMICORT FLEXHALER works.
Please read the instructions below carefully before you start to take your medicine, and use only as directed by a health care professional.
Just need a brief refresher? Review these three steps for using your PULMICORT FLEXHALER properly.
- Prime the inhaler. You only need to do this the first time you or your child use a new PULMICORT FLEXHALER.
- Load a dose. Holding the inhaler in an upright position, twist the brown grip as far as it will go in one direction, then twist it all the way back in the other direction.
- Inhale the dose. Turn away from the inhaler and breathe out. Then place the mouthpiece in your mouth, close your lips around it, and inhale deeply. Rinse your mouth with water after each dose to reduce the risk of developing thrush. Do not swallow.
- The label on the box or cover will tell you how many doses are in your PULMICORT FLEXHALER.
- Your PULMICORT FLEXHALER has a dose indicator window just below the mouthpiece. The dose indicator tells you about how many doses are left in the inhaler. Look at the middle of the window to find out about how many doses are left in your inhaler.
- The dose indicator is connected to the turning grip and moves (counts down) every time a dose is loaded. It is not likely that you will see the dose indicator move with each dose. You can usually see the indicator move each time you use about 5 doses.
- The dose indicator starts with either the number 60 or 120 when full, depending upon the strength of the inhaler. The indictor is marked in intervals of 10 doses.
- Markings are either with numbers or dashes (alternating), counting down to “0.”
Dose indicator starts at 60 or 120 depending on strength (90 mcg or 180 mcg) of the inhaler and counts down to 0.
- The dose indicator will tell you about how many doses are left in your PULMICORT FLEXHALER.
- If you complete the instructions for loading the dose more than one time before you inhale the dose, you will only receive one dose. The dose indicator will move a small amount, but it is not likely that you will see the dose indicator move with each dose.
- Your inhaler is empty when the number 0 on the red background reaches the middle of the dose indicator window. Throw away this inhaler. The inhaler may not give you the right amount of medicine, even though it may not feel completely empty and may seem like it continues to work.
- Do not put your PULMICORT FLEXHALER in water (do not immerse it) to find out if it is empty. Check the dose indicator window to see how many doses are left.
- Refill your PULMICORT FLEXHALER prescription before your medicine runs out. You will get a new inhaler each time you refill your prescription.
Detailed Instructions for Using PULMICORT FLEXHALER
Following the step-by-step instructions below can be helpful if you’re new to the PULMICORT FLEXHALER.
Before you use a new PULMICORT FLEXHALER for the first time, you must prime it. Once you’ve primed your inhaler, you don’t need to prime it again, even if you don’t use it for a while.
Refer to the figure above showing the parts of the PULMICORT FLEXHALER as you follow the steps below for priming the inhaler.
- Hold the inhaler by the brown grip so that the white cover points upward (upright position). With the other hand, turn the white cover and lift off.
- Continue to hold your PULMICORT FLEXHALER upright. Use your other hand to hold the inhaler in the middle. Do not hold the inhaler at the top of the mouthpiece.
- Twist the brown grip as far as it will go in one direction and then fully back again in the other direction until it stops (it does not matter which way you turn it first). You will hear a “click” during one of the twisting movements.
- Repeat Step 3. Your PULMICORT FLEXHALER is now primed. You are ready to load your first dose.
- Hold your PULMICORT FLEXHALER upright as shown. With your other hand, twist the white cover and lift it off.
- Continue to hold your PULMICORT FLEXHALER upright to be sure that the right dose of medicine is loaded.
- Use your other hand to hold the inhaler in the middle. Do not hold the mouthpiece when you load the inhaler.
- Twist the brown grip fully in one direction as far as it will go. Twist it fully back again in the other direction as far as it will go (it does not matter which way you turn it first).
- You will hear a “click” during one of the twisting movements.
- PULMICORT FLEXHALER will only give one dose at a time, no matter how often you click the brown grip, but the dose indicator will continue to move (advance). This means that if you continue to move the brown grip, it is possible for the indicator to show fewer doses or zero doses even if more doses are left in the inhaler.
- Do not shake the inhaler after loading it.
- Turn your head away from the inhaler and breathe out (exhale). If you accidentally blow into your inhaler after loading a dose, follow the instructions for loading a new dose.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips around the mouthpiece. Breathe in (inhale) deeply and forcefully through the inhaler.
- You may not sense the presence of any medication entering your lungs when inhaling from PULMICORT FLEXHALER. This lack of sensation does not mean that you did not get the medication. You should not repeat your inhalations even if you did not feel the medication when inhaling.
- Do not chew or bite on the mouthpiece.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and exhale. Do not blow or exhale into the mouthpiece.
- If more than one dose is prescribed repeat the steps above.
- When you are finished taking your dose, place the white cover back on the inhaler and twist shut.
- Rinse your mouth with water after each dose to decrease your risk of getting thrush. Do not swallow the water.
- Keep your PULMICORT FLEXHALER clean and dry at all times. Do not immerse it in water.
- Wipe the outside of the mouthpiece one time each week with a dry tissue.
- Do not use water or liquids when cleaning the mouthpiece.
- Do not try to remove the mouthpiece or twist it.
Do not use your PULMICORT FLEXHALER if it has been damaged or if the mouthpiece has become detached. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any problems with your PULMICORT FLEXHALER.
You can view a video of these instructions or print them from a PDF on the PULMICORT FLEXHALER desktop site. Click here to email yourself a link to the site.